Monday 4 May 2009

My Gentleman Caller...

Once upon a time, on my magical BFG Patio, a bird built a nest. Sure, the nest was built in the vent for my bathroom but it kept that nest warm and cozy and apparently, homey.
As spring sprung, and the chirps got louder and I knew we had some lovely babies getting ready to fly. The Patio is indeed, magical. (And at least somebody was gettin' some.
In a vent. Intended for my bathroom.)

But more charming than the magic of well, the circle of life, is the Papa Bird. He used to hover, as a good Papa should, 'round the patio- flying in and out of the nest with things. Some of which he dropped, making a giant patio mess that he didn't seem to be the least bit concerned with- as long as his Woman and their Babies were all good. Sometimes, I would scatter some bread about the patio along with his mess. And without a huge amount of alcohol or Match.com or a bride's little brother- a relationship was born.

Papa now sits on my steps every morning. He chirps and chirps and doesn't even flinch when the door opens. Even the screen door barely makes him flinch. He hops out of its way, sure- but he waits for me. He waits for me every day. And I have bought a loaf of bread. Sometimes, his Woman swoops down and grabs up a snack but her Babies are her home and I am ok with that.

I just can't wait for the morning that I hear a chirp, chirp, chirp and open the door to see My Gentleman Caller and his Babies lined up on the step with a big thank you Banner. Until then, I continue to be charmed each and every day. And the magic of the Patio continues to shine.... How could anyone not want to wake up here? (Maybe the Banner will also explain that?)
The End...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Birds of a feather....I checked my bird book and I think that is a sparrow...Whatever he is, he is pretty tweet!!:-)

love, jenn said...

Pretty Tweet! I get it! :) He may be a sparrow but he is LITTLE! Whatever, I like him.

Isn't it funny how he sits on the step?!

anne altman said...

you know i love me some wildlife. but, you should know some interesting news about the little sparrows---cute, definitely. but not nice. oh, and guess where they're from?

"English House Sparrows are not native to North America and have presented many problems for native birds. They are notorious for breaking open eggs and pecking other birds to death by piercing their skulls."

um...

love, jenn said...

Sweet Mother of God! It IS a sparrow and sparrows are bad. And shockingly, English. Wait, what? I have been charmed by an ENGLISH bird!?!?!

Well, at least HE is here.... My English SPARROW has some balls.

anne altman said...

EXACTLY, MY DEAR!!!!