Wednesday 13 May 2009

"Evidently, it's a bright, shiny vagina."

On a random wander 'round the Barnes and the Noble one afternoon, I stumbled on the book The Devil You Know by Mike Carey. It looked good. Professional British exorcist, paranormal stuff, mayhem, chaos, etc... the perfect book to take with me on Nannyland's Spring Break Tour.

I did not expect to have to have it all but surgically removed from my hand. It is STUPID good. Clever, deadpan, creepy, smart, funny- EVERYTHING I love in a book. With the added bonus of not being able to get it's sequels in the US! (It's like a disease, I swear.) But I love Mike Carey so much that I promptly hit up the amazon.co.uk and got books 2, 3, and 4. Which I devoured. Devoured! I shipped book one to Jason. Talked it up so much that Gary bought it also. (and LOVED it) Mr. Carey is a very successful comic book writer. And as a novelist- he is so good, I wanna buy comic books. I have never bought myself a comic book. Ever.

All I can say is... if you are able. If you like this kind "shudderingly noir" thing (an apt description provided by Daily Express)- then run, walk, order this shit, yo! Felix Castor, freelance exorcist, is da' bomb. And Mike Carey is a helluva writer.



The title is a quote from Book 4... Thicker Than Water

and who doesn't love a bright, shiny vagina?

No comments: