Friday 6 July 2007

Purchasing Knives


Oh, so I did get my paring knife at ASDA last night. And this morning I cut my strawberries gingerly and with love. But more importantly, when I bought it- the cashier asked if I was 18. How fantastic is this place??? I got carded for a paring knife!! Which of course made me strike up a conversation with Leah about what she would do if a youngster tried to purchase a paring knife. What if he just wanted to make breakfast for his Mum? Ok, a toddler I understand, but really if they were 17? She was purple by the time we left... Some ASDA rules- 1) don't joke with the cashier 2) don't talk above a whisper 3) and by all means don't be A-merican!


As we left, I said to Matt (who was way more interested in his sausage rolls than a discussion with yours truly)... "really, 18? Carded for a knife, sweetie pie... have you ever heard of such a thing?" To which he sagely replied- "well, we have a huge knife problem among the youth in this country, dearest." And I informed him that if they just allowed kids to carry guns like a normal country I would be able to cut my strawberries without all this formality! He choked on his sausage roll and called me Don. I am sooo Daddy's girl....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Halloo Jenn! Should have warned you, from my six years of housewifely "bliss": if you buy a knife, you eventually have to buy a whetting stone or one of those metal sticks with handles, to sharpen it (otherwise a teaspoon is sharper). Or else you have to keep buying knives when the old one gets dull (the old ones make excellent dog toys--but I don't see why they wouldn't work equally well for the cat). I find that I do not have this dull-discard-buy problem when preparing vegetables with a pistol. The best way to avoid perpetually buying knives (akin to that entrenched habit of perpetually buying new underwear rather than do laundry) is simply to eat out for every meal, and/or to enjoy whole peppers and whole onions in your fajitas. They say that onions (and garlic) prevent stomach cancer, so obviously slicing is for someone who takes health risks. Cheers, S