Friday 6 July 2007

Lists...


Dear Diary,

Living together is SOO HARD! I know it has only been like 36 hours but turns out we have different shopping strategies. I made a list to take to the glorious ASDA yesterday and by the time Matt got to #3, he was shaking his head. "Picture frames? Blu Tack? And what the hell is a paring knife?" Apparently, he is all of the belief that we shouldn't add to this flat as it will all have to go when he moves to Astoria. WHAT?! That is crazy talk! How will I cut my delicious British strawberries with the machete type knife being the only one here? And how will I put up pictures? And why would we put them up if they aren't in a frame? Turns out, when he said "big shop" he meant for food... that we were going to FREEZE... and then dethaw and cook meals that could make lunch leftovers a delight. Ummm, WHAT?! How do I know what I want to eat for dinner on Saturday? And if we have chicken tonight, why would I want it tomorrow? SOO HARD!

So, he promptly took the list away and began asking ridiculous questions... "Do you like enchiladas? Another meal with onions and peppers? How about a third onion and pepper heavy option?" Ummm, NO NO NO! He then began to add things himself- apples (Matt, you have apples.), broccoli, ham... What in God's name are we making with that? I offered to make fajitas last night (which were delicious and had easily removed onions and peppers, BTW) and then agreed to pasta for tonight and more chicken on Saturday. We also agreed that I would start the shopping alone and he would join in after running some errands. When he arrived, he took one look at the cart and almost ran away! For the record, I truly think that hooks for our towels on the back of the bathroom door is an absolute necessity!
I don't want it to sound, dear diary, that this was a fight as we were both doubled over laughing at all this. Absolutely ridiculous how different our approaches were... And I wasn't helping with my ludicrous bargaining... "fine, if I can pick out the chips, you can have tartar sauce"...
In the end, the best part was finally looking at the list before Matt arrived (determined as I was to have it all in the cart) and seeing that he had added...

onions. lots of onions- revenge. ah yes!

Damn, I love this man!
xo, jenn

1 comment:

Jenn Hyjack said...

Once you get to Astoria you'll be ordering in all the time anyway!!