Tuesday 28 October 2008

One-Stop-Uzi-Shop.com! Only $375!


"WESTFIELD, Mass. (Oct. 28) - With an instructor watching, an 8-year-old boy at a gun fair aimed an Uzi at a pumpkin and pulled the trigger as his dad reached for a camera.
It was his first time shooting a fully automatic machine gun, and the recoil of the weapon was too much for him. He lost control and fatally shot himself in the head....."

So the rest of the article is at the above link or you can google it as the story differs from source to source in some ways- however, not in the ways that matter! And they are this- an 8 year old was allowed by his father and a shooting instructor to fire an Uzi! This may be a rallying cry for gun control for a lot of peeps but as a girl who grew up around guns, I make the same argument I have always made... This should be a rallying cry for actual parenting!!! My brother and I knew that if we touched ANY of my Dad's guns or even the gun cabinet- well, we were dead meat! And having shot several guns in my lifetime, most recently a 357 Magnum, I can't count the times the recoil has almost knocked me on my fat ass. ANY adult who thinks an 8 year old can handle a semi-automatic weapon while they go get their camera for a fucking picture of this debacle should be shot.

This was clearly an accident. The gun show itself was advertised as "all legal and fun!" "Full Auto Rock and Roll"! The father was quoted as saying, "This accident was truly a mystery to me." Dad is the director of emergency medicine at Johnson Memorial Hospital in Stafford, Conn. "This is a horrible event, a horrible travesty, and I really don't know why it happened."

I can answer that... GUNS ARE NOT TOYS!!! I was taught that earlier than I can remember. Where did that lesson get lost? Under a pile of X Box games and Rated R ticket stubs in an 8 year olds room, perhaps? I mean, Neo has two in the Matrix! The loss of this child was completely preventable. A lack of common sense is clearly deadly.

1 comment:

anne altman said...

the dad might not have pulled the trigger but he obvs killed his kid. they say theres no greater pain than losing a child, sounds like justice has been served.

remind me why idiots are allowed to breed?