Wednesday 17 September 2008

Same Zip, Whole New Ball Game!

90210. Didn't really watch it when it was on the first time around. Sure, I knew the basic story line and had seen enough episodes to chat about it in class but was no fanatic! And now- well, now I am nanny to a teenage girl so I am up to my ears in 90210. Way better than Gossip Girl! LOL! I have a huge problem with this new version however.... Could it be the opening scene of episode one in which a chick is blowing the hot lead Dylan-esque fella in his car? Puh-lease, they have been screwing on One Tree Hill since they were sophomores. Could it be that a show about privileged, rich brats that act like adults long before they are ones is a bad influence? No. That was new 20 years ago but now is a dime a dozen and kids today do know the difference between TV and reality- most of the time. Could it be the fact that these chicks wear less clothes to school then I do to bed? Not yet- as they all appear to wear panties still which is good. (Although, I am pretty sure that Bella picked out their friggin' stilettos! Remember that? It was such a bitch getting to Social Studies on the 2nd Floor with my 4 inch pumps on!)

Here is my issue. Shannen Doherty was 19 when 90210 premiered less than 20 years ago. She was 5'2" and 120lbs according to her resume (and US Weekly). AnnaLynne McCord- the new 90210s misunderstood vixen- is 21 (playing a 16 yr. old, FYI). She is 5'7" tall and 110lbs! Jennie Garth? She was 18, 5'5" and 130lb (she was the fat one)... Shenae Grimes- innocent, corn fed, transplant to Beverly Hills- is 5'3" and 90lbs!!! She's 19, btw. Only Tori Spelling and Jessica Stroup clock in at the same malnourished 105lbs. Though Miss Stroup has 2 inches and 3 years on Tori back in the day.

I can tell my 14/15 year old peeps that we don't dress or act like whores unless we want to be treated like ones and they get that. They don't do it. They don't admire Britney or Jamie Lynn or the poor extra who got the gig as "blow job giver". However, when my 14 year old wakes up and claims she needs breakfast because she is a "fatty"..... I am incensed!!! Incensed!!! Could I lose a few (thousand) pounds? Sure. But would she look sickly if she lost 2- YES!!! What are we doing to our poor girls??? I feel like I have been on this particular soap box for way too long! We should love our daughters because they are strong and smart and funny and lovely and healthy and in need and show them that those are the characteristics we honor and adore. Fuck it- I need a Ring Ding!

1 comment:

anne altman said...

anne won't be watching.