Friday 27 November 2009

Here! Here!

Asuko Doi had a subscription to Time magazine and because she (or he?) didn't cancel it before they moved... Now I do!! I look at the pictures. I read an article or two. But there is no horoscope and thus, it is not a real magazine! But every once in awhile, something in the publication makes me say hmmmm.... And this week's essay is a perfect and fantastic example. The essay is called The Gospel of Glee by the delightful, Nancy Gibbs. The link to the article is at the bottom and I say READ IT!! It is all about the moral aspects to today's TV obsessions. And you know what they... and despite the fact that one of the main Christian points is "judge not",
it does seem to be a huge part of their lives- judging, I mean.
(Scratch the Nots!)

It was this quote that made me need to share the essay just as Asuko shares the Time with me...

"The point is not whether there is a moral message to be found beneath all the
snark and snideness in this show or any other. The point lies in the surprises that jostle us out of our smug little certainties and invite us to weigh what we value,
whatever our faith tradition!"

Thanks, Nancy. And thanks, Asuko.

No comments: