Wednesday 23 September 2009

To The Lighthouse....

So, yesterday- Nannyland was under siege. Cleaning Lady was here and she likes to complain and chat and tell me to buy her cleaning supplies and comment all in broken Slavic English. For example- I had done my laundry and went to grab it before she got to it (she isn't here to do MY laundry after all). She was already throwing in a load and as I grabbed my new bra (hanging to dry cuz the dryer makes it lose its shape!)... she said "is too much". Ummm??? WHAT?! The polka dots are too much? My boobies are too much? It looked like it cost too much?
(It was on sale at Target, btw)

The Lawn Guys were here. Gardner was here. And Handyman was here, too. He tried to send me to the hardware store for caulk. I said, "what's caulk?" He said, "Your father would be embarrassed if he heard you ask that!" (He knows Diamond D is a general contractor) To which I replied, "My Dad would know I was pretending I don't know to get out of going to the hardware store. My Dad was also add, 'what kind of handyman doesn't have caulk in his van?'!" (Exactly what my Dad did say when I told him the tale! I love my Dad's predictable sarcasm.)

And so, Gizmo and I ran and ran and ran all the way to Montauk! (Well, we ran to the Lexus and then drove to Montauk) And we had a lovely time and a delicious sandwich from the local deli! Turkey, bacon, pesto, brie and romaine on homemade sunflower bread!! YUM!! It was our first trip to Montauk and we had a blast! We didn't go to the top of the Lighthouse because Giz wasn't allowed and I am really quite lazy!



I like that they provide a coin operated binocular machine but then a painted slab of the things 30 feet away that I could see without said coin operated binocular machine!


This lighthouse was built in 1796, FYI! Commissioned by George Washington and the first in New York State!! (There was a sign that said all that...)

Some original lighthouse lamps which they conveniently located on the ground floor
for the lazy among us!


This is the first known pic of the original settlers of LI... the Montauketts!
I think that would make a fine faux curse word!
As Montauk is at The End of Long Island... thar be beaches there! Arrgghh!

And Montuak Daisies!
The Montauk Daisy was so pretty in its native land that I bought one for the patio!
The perfect souvenir!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That has to be our next visit.....Looked like a wonderful day!! Gizmo is becoming the traveling Gnome Dog:-)oxoxox

anne altman said...

R&R and Ruff Ruff Ruff!

nice shots. glad you took a long lunch break. its inspired me to do so. maybe i'll check out the staten island ferry.