Thursday 8 October 2009

Whole Foods. More Than Just Overpriced.

Toronto resident Brett James was reaching into his refrigerator to grab his wife a snack when he found a black widow spider lurking under the bag of grapes he'd purchased at the local Whole Foods Market, the Toronto Star reports. He thinks the poisonous spider came in with the grapes.

"When I lifted the bag, the spider was underneath, just sitting on top of another bag in the refrigerator," James tells Slashfood. "I wasn't sure exactly what it was, and I had heard stories before, so something was in the back of my head that it could be serious."

He lifted the spider out of the fridge on a paper towel and put it in a plastic container. After poking around on the Internet, he said he identified it as a black widow, a spider whose venom can cause muscle cramps, tremor and chest pain.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!

anniemom said...

aWe have those bad bitches under picnic tables in parks here... please tell me you'll still come and visit? We just won't go to any parks. Or Whole Foods. I asked my boy if he remembers his Aunties, and he said, "They took me to Whole Foods. And got me a vanilla milk. And a vegetable." Rock on, my buddy.

love, jenn said...

Had I known, Annie- I would come more!! YAHOOO Spiders! :) I love that FJ added "a vegetable". AWESOME!