Saturday 22 November 2008

No Longer a Virgin!

I have lived in New York City for just over 12 years. In that time, I have done many a stereotypical NYer thing- I killed a cockroach and went back to sleep (the first moment I felt like I belonged here), I no longer run to the empty car on a packed, rush hour subway (there's a reason it's empty- normally, it's homeless and it smells), I order meals to be delivered just for me, despite living in Astoria- I have bemoaned going "all the way to Brooklyn!", I have been in Harlem at 2AM and lived!, I go to the movies alone. I get excited now at things that were everyday in my youth- Wegmans, $1 chicken wings, entire bar tabs under $20, driving, hot dogs on a grill....

But there was one mission I had chosen to accept, one boundary I hadn't crossed, a cherry to still be popped and I am happy to report that.... yesterday, for the first time in 12 years, one month, and one day (I am almost positive)- I dropped off my laundry for someone else to do!!!!!

That's right! Yesterday, I picked up my sparkling, clean whites- all of them folded. Apparently, one can fold a fitted sheet after it has been taken out of it's packaging... who knew?? And I made my bed and slept like a bear in winter! (though that may have been the emotional exhaustion of the last few days + red wine + Advil PM) I may have dropped them off like a guy buying his first box of condoms ("um, just looking. So, I will take a 50cent box of Tide, some dryer sheets, oh, and how did these get in here?! Well, I'll just take them...") but I picked them up with glee! So, thank you, Lovely Ladies of Laundry for being the most sparkling, freshest scented, lowest cost first EVER!

3 comments:

anne altman said...

it is the stuff that dreams are made of.

until, that is, they lose all your flat sheets and both your bathmats, and they tell you that they didn't and its all in your mind and go fuck yourself.

ever try to make a bed with two fitted sheets? trust me, when you fight that elastic band crumpling about your face all night you think twice about dropping it off again.

but i will.

My Three Girls (The A girls) said...

When we lived in the city years ago. Andy and I kept everything in our fridge. I mean everything in hope to advoid the cockroaches. "hon where is the oreos? Oh yeah, right next to the cooking oil and peaanut butter."

One day I thought "um...we order take out all the time in hope to advoid cockroaches and such....but I bet the restaurants have things worst than the cockroach..they have rats." ewwww

I would love to send our laundry out.....sounds heavenly to have someone else do the laundry. Would my hubbies boxers come back all pressed and folded?

love, jenn said...

I don't know about pressed but all my sheets were folded brilliantly! Even the one white sock that got in there was folded!

I once shoved my roommate's cat into a cupboard because there was a roach on the dishes... I still like to believe that Tater ate it!