Sunday 9 November 2008

Empty

Sometimes, in the middle of a fine day. A day when you roast pumpkin seeds and rake leaves and make yourself a turkey sandwich. Just a day. The grief comes out of nowhere. Catches you so unprepared, so unaware and so defenseless that it sends you to the ground. Shaking and weak and crushed all over again. Wishing it wasn't happening, wishing he was still here, hearing his voice in your head as you crumble to the ground because your legs can't hold you any longer. Logic leaves. Reason follows and you are left unable to breathe. Unable to see or smell- so wrapped up in memory as if he was right there whispering, "it's good to have you home, boo".... and you simply die all over again.

All you can do is pick yourself up, off the shower floor, wrap yourself in a towel and cry. Weep for what isn't. Weep until the trembling subsides and you wait for the next wave. Hope exhaustion catches you in the meantime. Hear the voices in your head telling you to breathe.... and try to listen. You know time heals. You know you have to own the loss before you can let it go.

Sometimes, there isn't enough strength to bear the weight. And hollow, you take to your bed. Hoping you have poured enough of the poison out to let sleep take you.

4 comments:

anne altman said...

its all you can do: fake it 'til you make it.

i'm still faking it.

can you tell?

;)

Anonymous said...

I love you Jenny. I'm sorry it hurts so much sometimes.

xo,
Jenny

Anonymous said...

WE hear you~~We feel your pain~~Breathe through it...slow deep breaths~~You are loved...oxox

Anonymous said...

Jenn,

I know your pain. I lost my mother at 14 to a heart condition, and my father at 34...almost to the day and month i might add..weird...although there were circumstances...he was abusive...there at his coffin in the dimmed light brought on by the tent above me...i said my i love you's and i'm sorry's even though another part of me wanted to say other not so nice words for years on end. I don't know if i've made my peace, but i do know he's gone and so is my mother, and i can't take that back, and sometimes my sappy ass sits there and listens to sad songs that bring it out:

Christina Aguilera "Hurt"
Kid Rock "My Oedipus Complex"
Mike & the Mechanics "The Living Years"
Pink Floyd "Mother"
Metallica "Mama Said"
Everclear "Father Of Mine"


just to name a few..if you havent already, give them a listen..i dont know if they'll console you, i dont know if they'll help you, i just know they speak to me.

as for your situation:

Hugs to you on your loss..my condolences. maybe one day this wont be such a punch in the stomach for you, but for now...I'm sorry.