Sunday 16 March 2008

Happy Birthday, Jenny Eclair!

Who is Jenny Eclair?
Well, she is a fantastically funny British comedienne who celebrates her birthday today!
Why do I care?
Because in 1996, one year after being the first (and only, so far) female winner of the Perrier Award (given to the Best in Show at Edinburgh Fringe Fest) Jenny Eclair brought her child to classes at Crechendo. I taught classes at Crechendo and week after week entertained Jenny's kid! Since then, Jenny has performed on the West End, earned countless TV and radio credits, wrote two acclaimed novels and continued on her very funny journey through life.
But her greatest accomplishment (you know, if you ask me) was to encourage ME to try stand up! She said, "You're funny". I said, "Who are you?".She said, "Go do this workshop with my mate and 6 award winning male comics with 6 to 10 years experience, try not to be way out of your depths and then 5 to 6 years after you return to America- you may be almost ready to try stand up again! It'll be fun! Off you go!" And thus, there I was and now here I am! Happy Birthday, Jenny. And thanks! (from me and my tens of fans!)

No comments: