Friday 7 January 2011

My New 6 Month Old!!!

For those who don't know, I love rhinos. I have loved them for a very long time. I have quite an extensive collection of rhino things thanks to the many, many, many rhino treats I have received since purchasing my very first rhino in Boston with Jason in 1996. I have a glass rhino from Vienna, a hand puppet rhino from the Czech Republic, a stuffed one from the London Zoo, a stone one from Mexico... I have vintage rhinos and plastic rhinos and several Beanie Baby rhinos! And now, A REAL RHINO!!!

I decided to "adopt" a rhino from The Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. The Trust is located in Kenya and its' main focus is the conservation of endangered black rhinos and African elephants! Since adopting my sweet little girl, Solio, I have received monthly emails and pictures and keepers updates from the Trust. I can't wait to meet her in person! She is just the cutest thing! (Obvs, Ripley is cuter!) She has a blind rhino friend called Maxwell who she loves. And she is very brave... The following is from my latest email-

Please find attached a recent photograph of Solio who has completely tamed down, and is now rather like a large lap dog! She is certainly a far cry from the boisterous rocket that arrived, ready to flatten anyone in her path.
She impressed her Keepers by seeing off a lion who approached her and her Keepers out in the bush one day! Solio instantly charged at the lion, and since lions are not used to being charged, the intruder was put to flight!

Clearly, THAT'S my girl! I have decided that for my 40th birthday (in 15 years, of course) I will go on Safari! I have always wanted to go to Africa and now I have a 400+ pound reason to
make it happen!!

SOLIO!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great thing to do~~She is just the cutest Rhino .....you 2 will enjoy each other even at a distance!!oxoxox

Sandra said...

Sounds like your little girl is very savvy!
I highly encourage the African safari in Kenya. Kenya is a beautiful country!
And what a terrific thing to "adopt" wildlife. Plus there's no sleep deprivation with this kind of adoption :)

Sans Pantaloons said...

Hello Solio!

anne altman said...

rhino butts are cute!